Tamariki Child Health Services
Ngā Kākano want every mokopuna (baby and child) to have the best start in life. Our nurses and kaiāwhina can visit you in your home, at the marae, Kōhanga Reo/ Early Childcare Center, you can come to the Ngā Kākano clinic, or we can come to your workplace or wherever you feel comfortable.
Tamariki Ora – Well Child
Tamariki Ora provides well-child services for pēpi from 4-6 weeks to 5 years of age. This service provides support and advice on health-related issues and regular health checks in your home, Kōhanga Reo/ Early Childcare Center, at Ngā Kākano or wherever you feel comfortable. It is a free service. Your midwife can refer you or you can enrol at any time.
AT A GLANCE
- Free service supporting tamariki (4-6 weeks to 5 years) and whānau
- Well child checks (same as Plunket)
- Whānau welcome
- Can visit you at home or at any location
- Supported by a Registered Nurse
The Tamariki Ora Well Child service will
- Provide you with the knowledge and skills to respond to your child’s needs at the different stages of their development
- Provide reassurance that your child is developing normally, through growth and development assessments/ health core checks
- Inform you about, and provide immunisations
- Support and help you to identify your needs as a parent or whanau
- Link you with community and other services including wider Ngā Kākano services that can assist you and your whānau further.
“My older son received health checks ad support from Ngā Kākano when he was a baby, and now our little one is part of Tamariki Ora. I appreciate how the Ngā Kākano Tamariki Ora nurses treat me like family, always welcoming and ready to help”
– Māma Emma and baby Isiah
Core Health Checks
These checks include 17 core health checks, as well as a GP check at 6 weeks, from 4-6 weeks to 5 years. They are all free.
Follow the link below to find out more about each of the Well Child Core Health Checks.
Well Child Health Book
Please bring with you the Well Child Health Book you received when baby was born.
Produced by the Ministry of Health, this book is full of useful information and provides an ongoing health and immunisation record for your child. Keep the book somewhere safe and bring it with you every time you take your child to a health or Tamariki Ora appointment.
If you lose your Well Child book, Ngā Kākano can provide a replacement. Alternatively, you can order or download a copy here.